Types of Business Licenses

Silverton Business License

The city has three types of business licenses: general, home occupation, and transient or peddler.

General Business

Business License Application
You need to acquire a business license if you are selling any goods or service, soliciting business or offering goods or services for sale or hire, and/or acquiring or using any vehicle or premises in the city for business purposes. Application for a license shall be made annually beginning at least 10 days before conducting business in the city and renewed effective January 1 each year. All businesses must comply with zoning and other regulations that have been adopted by the city, county, and/or state.

Home Occupation

Home Occupation Addendum
A home occupation is any business that occurs within a building in a residential neighborhood. Home occupations include small-scale business ventures or personal hobbies, whether conducted for profit or not, which could not be sustained if it were necessary to lease commercial quarters or because the nature of the activity would make it impractical to expand to a full-scale enterprise. The business needs to be conducted in such a way that the outward appearance does not manifest any characteristics of a business nor infringe upon the right of neighboring residents to enjoy the peaceful occupancy of their homes.

Transient or Peddler Business

Transient Business Application
"Transient business" means any person, either as a principal or agent, who sells goods, wares, services, or merchandise at a fixed temporary location, or door-to-door, on public or private property or otherwise conducts business for a fixed temporary period of time.

If the transient business has the potential to negatively impact publicly owned lands or facilities, as determined by the city manager, then a bond or other financial security shall be required to ensure cleanup, restoration, and/or replacement of said public land or facility.