Are you planning a remodeling project?

As a homeowner, you may do construction on your own home as long as it is not going to be for rent, sale, or lease.

If you are planning a building project which requires permitting (deck, addition, etc),  you will need to provide three sets of your building plans (blueprints) along with an application and site plan.   Your plans will be reviewed for building code compliance, as well as local zoning compliance.

Most plumbing, electrical, and mechanical permits can be issued the same day and only require a completed application along with the applicable fee.

Housing Rehabilitation Program

The City of Silverton has a Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program, administered through MidWillamette Valley Council of Government (MWVCOG). Qualified applicants may be eligible for a loan, up to $25,000, to make eligible repairs, to include:
  • Health and safety issues; 
  • Electrical and plumbing upgrades;
  • Structural repairs;
  • Heating systems;
  • Roofing;
  • Siding;
  • Weatherization, and 
  • Handicap accessibility.
  • Four-percent (4%) APR simple interest rate accrues for the first five (5) years only with zero interest accruing thereafter.
  • There are no monthly payments. The loan does not need to be repaid until sale or transfer of the home. Once the home is sold, the loan is repaid from the proceeds of the sale. 
To qualify for the Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program:
  • You must own the home, and it must be your primary residence; 
  • Your home must be located inside the VDI loan program service area; 
  • The combined income of all members of your household over the age of 18 must be less than 80% of the median income for Marion County; 
  • You must have equity in your property based upon 85% of the County assessor's real market value or recent appraisal;
  • Click here to see the brochure
  • Click here to learn more about the program from the MWVCOG